Safety Tips For Snowy Weather
Winter is almost always synonymous with the holiday season. It can be a very beautiful time of the year. It is characterized by clear starry nights and snowy landscapes. However, the cold weather also has its challenges. Whether you’re driving to work, watching a movie at home, or shoveling the snow from your sidewalk, there are several safety tips for snowy weather you should keep in mind.
If possible, weather experts recommend staying indoors during snowy weather. Driving in the snow can be dangerous. It’s important to check for updates as some roads may be shut down. Check the weather forecast before going out and make sure you know when the snow might start.
Have An Emergency Plan
Be sure to have a cold weather safety plan in advance to address any safety concerns during snowy weather or when it’s extremely chilly. Check that your heater is in perfect working condition so that you don’t deal with a heating system breakdown during the cold weather. Be sure to stock up on food and water. Don’t count on delivery and carryout to get food as some restaurants may close early to allow their workers to get home. It also helps to keep an emergency kit stocked with medications you and your family may need, especially in the case of an emergency. Confirm that you have enough drugs to treat chronic conditions such as statins and insulin.
Watch Out For Signs Of Hypothermia
Check on children and older adults with circulation problems because they are more susceptible to cold. When the body temperature goes below normal, hypothermia could set in. Hypothermia can progress to a life-threatening condition including cardiac arrest. It’s usually marked by pale skin, shivering, and nails turning blue.
Alcohol may seem like the ideal drink for the cold weather, but there’s nothing further from the truth. People are often less aware of their hydration problems during the cold months than the warm so drinking alcohol only makes things worse by increasing the chances of dehydration. Moreover, alcohol makes it harder for the body to tell how cold it is. This means that while alcohol may make you feel warmer, it can delay the onset of shivering and make you lose more body heat.
Clear The Path To Your Oil Fill Pipe
Even in snowy weather, it’s important to shovel a path prior to your heating oil delivery. It ensures the safety of your delivery and the safety of the technicians/drivers making the delivery. Take note of a few tips for safe snow removal.
- Stretch your muscles before setting out to start shoveling and layer your clothing to keep your lower back warm.
- It’s also crucial to take frequent breaks while shoveling snow as the activity can be particularly dangerous in older people who don’t frequently exercise.
Watch Out For Frostbite
It’s important to dress in layers and to keep your face, head and ears covered in the event of a blizzard. Body areas at the edges of blood circulation such as the nose, fingers, cheeks and toes are at a high risk for frostbite. People with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease, are more susceptible to frostbite because of poor blood circulation.
Additional Things To Consider
In the follwing article by ready.gov, they share some tips that should also be taken into consideration:
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Wet clothing loses all of its insulating value and transmits heat rapidly.
- Drive only if it is absolutely necessary. If you must drive: travel in the day; don’t travel alone; keep others informed of your schedule; stay on main roads and avoid back road shortcuts.
- Let someone know your destination, your route, and when you expect to arrive. If your car gets stuck along the way, help can be sent along your predetermined route.
- If the pipes freeze, remove any insulation or layers of newspapers and wrap pipes in rags. Completely open all faucets and pour hot water over the pipes, starting where they were most exposed to the cold (or where the cold was most likely to penetrate).
Click here to see the rest of this article.
Heating Oil Companies Near Me Bethlehem PA
When the extreme winter weather arrives, it is always important to take the necessary steps to stay safe. The tips above will help you do just that. For reliable heating oil delivery, even in the coldest of weather, be sure to contact R.F. Ohl. Our fuel oil deliveries are affordable and you can count on us to get you your heating oil on time. We also offer heating system maintenance so that you can stay nice and warm even when it is frigid cold out. Be sure to contact us to find out more on what we can do for your home heating needs.
We service Allentown PA 18101, Bethlehem PA 18015, Catasauqua PA 18032, Center Valley PA 18034, Coplay PA 18037, East Texas PA 18046, Emmaus PA 18049, Hellertown PA 18055, Lehigh Valley PA 18001, Limeport PA 18060, Northampton PA 18067, Whitehall PA 18052, and surrounding areas.