What Size Oil Tank Do I Need?
Homeowners have a lot to worry about their homes, and they often overlook their HVAC systems, including oil-powered heating systems. If your house has an existing oil system and you haven’t checked your oil tank lately, now is a good time to do so.
Fuel oil is crucial for keeping your home warm, comfortable, and safe, so you don’t want to run out of heating oil when you need it most. If you have C.O.D. or will-call deliveries, be aware of your heating oil level, especially during harsh weather. If you need to replace your heating oil tank, consider if the current size meets your household’s oil consumption needs before buying a different size.
The Importance Of Oil Tank Size
Many homes use heating oil to keep warm. Understanding your home’s heating needs is vital if you rely on heating oil. This will allow you to determine the proper oil tank size and schedule fuel deliveries efficiently. Here are the reasons why knowing your oil tank size is crucial:
- Track Remaining Heating Oil – By knowing your tank size, you can determine the amount of oil remaining. If your tank is an older model and lacks a low-level gauge, a simple calculation can be used to estimate the amount of oil left.
- Determine the Quantity of Oil to Purchase – Knowing your home oil tank size and the remaining oil level enables you to calculate the necessary amount of oil to purchase for the winter. It helps you plan and budget accordingly.
- Improve Your Consumption Awareness – Understanding your heating oil usage makes you a more mindful consumer and helps you optimize your heat conservation.
- Avoid Running Out of Oil – Knowing your oil storage tank size is crucial to avoid running out of oil and the discomfort it brings. This is especially important during severe weather conditions, as a shortage can pose a risk to the health and safety of your family, including the elderly and children.
When To Upgrade Your Home Oil Tank
Upgrading an oil tank requires careful consideration. Knowing the reason for the upgrade streamlines the process of determining the proper size. Reasons for upgrading may include:
- Outdated or faulty oil tank.
- Changes in home heating needs, like a growing family.
- Desire to benefit from bulk purchasing, which often requires a larger tank for discounts.
The Common Sizes For Home Oil Tanks
When considering heating oil tank sizes, it is vital to understand the measurements used. Holding capacity refers to the amount of oil a tank can hold and is measured in gallons for residential tanks. The size of the tanks can also be determined by measuring their depth, height, and width in inches.
To find the right size tank, you must know the capacity of your current tank. If it is an older model and does not have a label, use a measuring tape. Newer tanks typically have size labels.
The standard size for residential heating oil tanks is 275 gallons, but they are also available in various other dimensions, including 288, 340, 420, 500, 550, 675, and 1000 gallons. For commercial structures, larger tanks over 30 000 gallons are also available.
Things to Consider When Buying a Heating Oil Tank
The size of your heating oil tank depends on several factors, the primary factor being your home’s oil consumption. When considering what size is right for your home, take into account the following factors:
- Heating Habits – Consider the heating habits of your household. Being mindful consumers could lead to low heating oil usage. Remember to include your vacations, as being away from home during winter can result in savings on heating oil consumption.
- Space Requirements – To upgrade to a larger tank, first determine the physical size of your current tank. This will give you a clear understanding of whether you have enough space to accommodate a bigger one.
- Home Size and Number of Rooms – The number of rooms in your home is a significant factor to consider when choosing the size of your oil tank. For homes with 1-2 bedrooms, smaller tanks are sufficient. However, homes with 5 bedrooms or more will require larger tanks.
- Number of Occupants – The larger the number of occupants in a home, the more heat will be required. As your family expands, you will consume more oil during the winter months. It is important to have a larger tank to ensure everyone stays warm and comfortable.
- Emergency Preparation – To prepare for emergencies, it is advisable to have a 20% surplus on your fuel usage. This allows for unexpected events, such as snowstorms, that may cause a delay in your next-day delivery. In case of an emergency, the heating oil refill may take longer than anticipated.
Have A Professional Do The Oil Tank Installation
The next step after determining your family’s heating oil needs and selecting the appropriate tank size is to contact a certified heating oil tank supplier for installation. A professional installer will ensure that you make an informed choice regarding the oil tank size and that the installation process is safe and professional.
A professional will also ensure that the tank is placed in the optimal location within your home. It should be easily accessible and securely anchored to a sturdy foundation to prevent oil leaks. The installer will also consider potential risks, such as temperature drops that can cause oil tank condensation or a frozen heating oil system, and address them using industry-standard protocols.
When choosing an oil tank size for your home, it is essential to consider various factors before making a decision. Some of these factors may include the size of your home, your energy usage, the location of the tank, and more. To ensure the process of removing an old tank and installing a new one goes smoothly, it is crucial to seek the assistance of a reputable and trustworthy heating technician like RF Ohl. With our help, you are confident that your oil tank will be properly sized, installed, and maintained, making the process much more convenient and straightforward.
Call R.F. Ohl for Solutions to Ensuring Comfort in Your Home
If you need to have heating oil delivered to your house, call R.F. Ohl. Our prices for quality discounted heating oil are the best. We also offer efficient heating solutions for your family and home.
The expert technicians on our team are equipped to handle any HVAC repair or maintenance. Contact us to hear about our various services. We can assist by answering your questions and concerns. For more information about our efficient HVAC services or oil deliveries, call R.F. Ohl today!